The San Diego Museum of art and the Timken had a fabulous exhibition of kimonos created by artist Itchiku Kubota in 2008-2009. You can see the Kubota kimono collection at https://thekubotacollection.com
For this lesson, I first taught in 2015. I taught my students how to make a basic kimono shape and they added different elements such as flowers and patterns in black permanent marker and/or oil pastel. When they were finished, they could add watercolor on top.
I went to the educator’s open house at San Diego Museum of Art and loved the exhibition so much that I went back multiple times to see the kimonos. The museum had a collage lesson that had been created by artist Jane LaFazio. It was beautiful but far too complex with too many steps for our 45 minute lessons.
I received a large donation of glass yogurt containers and colored sand leftover from a school event. I decided these two items could easily go together by creating sand paintings.
My students layered sand in the jars and used skewers and wooden sticks to move the sand in the jars creating patterns and lines. When finished, they added a thick layer of PVA glue and a piece of felt.
I had a bunch of 3 inch strips leftover from cutting paper for a project and needed to do something with them. I also have a larger than necessary stash of bright orange paper that had been languishing in the cabinet for a while. We put the two together and came up with these cool nine patch images.
There were a lot of reminders about how to use and read a ruler but they did a great job.
I can’t believe I remembered to take a picture of the steps we came up with! I put the time on the board since we only have 45 minutes from beginning to end so they could gauge themselves and have enough time to cut and glue.
Grade 5 learns about the Colonial Period and I like to link my art lessons to classroom curriculum when I can. This lesson brings together several areas of learning into one lesson. It is a great STEAM lesson as well because of the motion and the math of a measuring a circle.
In years past, I have used donated cardboard and we had parent helpers cut the discs.
This year, I had some funds in my Artsonia account and used those to purchase round cardboard from Amazon.
Students decorated both sides of the disc. Then punched 2 holes 1-2 finger widths apart in the center of the discs. I had them measure the center and we talked about how we measure circles which tied in to their recent math lesson where they measured the tether ball courts on the playground and learned about pi.
The hammer and nail punching was not necessary with this year’s soft corrugated cardboard but last year, we used donated ram board and that stuff is hard so hammer and nails were a necessity. The kids love trying new tools so this was a way to teach them about and to use a hammer and nails.
I showed them how to string a piece of thread through the discs and tie them off. Then I show them how to make them spin. The students had to do something colorful on one side and the other side could be their choice.
If you make these, be sure to leave time to play at the end of class. My students really enjoyed playing after creating.
Our black placemats we use get pretty messy after hundreds of uses. A few days ago, I noticed that the edges of most of them were folded and frayed and that many were bumpy from being wet from paint and glue. I swapped them out for new ones and wanted to use the spattered papers for something. I came up with this for my 1/2 combo class. A week or so ago, a gigantic box of skinny strips showed up in the art room. KISMET!! Students used the black mats at the substrate and the paper strips to weave.
They took paper strips and glued them on one edge of the paper. To remind them to use a small amount of glue and to hold the paper a few seconds so it wouldn’t slide around, we chanted dot, dot, not a lot, lot , press and hold 1, 2, 3, 4, 5.
It was a pretty fun way to get them to make sure the one side was stuck before we started weaving. While that dried a bit, they decorated their strips and then did their weaving.
Well, they actually trimmed the edges. Then did their weaving.
Pretty great way to use up a box of paper strips that showed up in the art room and the old placemats as well.
I created this after having a large quantity of leftover black watercolor paint. I pop the brown and black pans out of the paint palettes for two reasons. One, it forces my students to mix colors and two my youngest artists do not paint everything black and brown.
Students learned about the art of filigree. They looked at examples both ancient and modern. They then traced (or could draw their own) a large heart onto 9×12 paper.
Using white oil pastel, they filled their hearts with organic, curved lines. They painted the inside with water color of their choice then black watercolor around the hearts.